Saturday, August 16, 2008

The making of a politician

I think I now know how politicians get their starts. It starts by trying to put a spin on things they aren't supposed to do when they are toddlers. Jack is practicing the art of justifying his behavior. It usually involves the phrase, "But, I'm just...." Here's an example. Picture Jack letting milk dribble out of his mouth at the table (very appealing, I know.)
Me: Jack, don't spit out your milk.
Jack: But, I'm just taking a sip and opening my mouth.
(He does have a point, I guess he isn't really "spitting.")

Additionally, I think we have taught him that as long as he is "just pretending," anything goes. For instances, if I catch him putting a rock in his mouth, I'll tell him not to eat rocks, and he'll say, "I'm just pretending." I usually concede that it is OK to pretend as long as he doesn't actually put the rocks in his mouth. Yesterday he applied the "just pretending" response in a new and creative way. Brent asked Jack to feed Gracie. Jack started to open the door to go outside.
Brent: Jack, don't go outside. I asked you to do something.
Jack: But, I'm just pretending not to feed Gracie.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

I absolutely love your imagination, Jack! I can't wait to hear what you come up with next!

Acadiana Open Channel said...

Jack,

You're just tooooo darn smart! I love the way you think and I pray for your folks.

Love grumps